Recipe by Heather U.
From Digs Magazine, June 2001. To make it easier, you can purchase shrimp that have already been peeled and deveined.
- 1 lb shrimp
- 3 bell peppers, different colors (or sub 1 pepper with an onion)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak 16 wooden skewers in water.
- Wash shrimp and pat dry on paper towels. Peel shells and discard. De-vein each shrimp if you have time (use a toothpick to pull out the long black "vein" that runs along the back of each shrimp – if the fact that the "vein" is actually a poop chute doesn’t bother you, feel free to skip this step).
- Wash, de-seed and chop the peppers into 1" square sections.
- Mince the garlic with salt. Mix the garlic-salt with lemon juice, olive oil, cayenne pepper, and paprika in a large bowl. Add the shrimp and peppers and toss well to coat.
- Get the grill started if you’re using a charcoal grill (gas grills don’t need to pre-heat), or if you’re doing this indoors, preheat the broiler.
- Thread the skewers with the shrimp and bell pepper. Place the skewers on a large baking sheet and pour the remaining marinade over the top.
- Grill or broil the kebabs 2-3 minutes on each side. Serve with coconut rice or plain rice.