Recipe by Nic
Liven up your next barbecue with these tender marinated pieces of chicken breast, with a delicious spicy flavour. Very simple to make and fantastic hot or cold, ideal for picnics. I have used the marinade for turkey, pork fillets, prawns and even tuna steaks (cut marinade time down to 1 hour for fish). Serve with a bowl of yoghurt/cucumber/mint or a dip of sour cream with juice of 1/2 a lime and 1/4 teaspoon of paprika.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or 2 lbs skinless boneless turkey breasts
- 1 medium onion
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and chopped roughly
- 1 -4 garlic clove, peeled
- 3 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil or 3 tablespoons peanut oil or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree or 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice the chicken breast into thin strips, about 1 inch wide and put into a bowl.
- Put all other ingredients (marinade) into a blender/liquidizer and whiz to a smooth paste.
- Mix the marinade thoroughly with the chicken strips, cover with cling film and leave in fridge for 4 hours or overnight if possible.
- Put grill to highest heat and spread chicken directly onto rack (leave marinade on chicken, don't wipe off), grill for 8-10 minutes, turning frequently, until almost black in patches.
- Note: You can also grill/broil this indoors, place a wire rack onto a baking sheet that has been lined with foil (to catch the drips) turn grill up to highest heat and cook 8-10 minutes.
- Recipe Idea: Try Chicken Kebabs, cube the chicken, marinade and just before cooking thread onto wooden skewers, remember to soak the skewers in water for an hour or so, before threading, to stop them burning.