Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
These are excellent when served with cheese and crackers. I eat them straight from the jar all year long. They go great with beer too.
- 3 -4 green tomatoes (smaller is better)
- 2 -3 jalapeno peppers (fresh)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon canning salt
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- These directions assume that you have canning experiance and are familar with the general precautions of home canning. If you are not, please do some research before attempting any home canning.
- Quarter green tomatoes into a large bowl, for very small ones I just half them.
- Set up clean sterile Wide Mouth Quart Jars and lids.
- Bring to a boil, 2 parts white vinegar and 1 part water, enough to fill all the jars you are making.
- Place 2 cloves of garlic in each jar.
- Add 2-3 jalapeno peppers to each jar. Any hot pepper will do.
- Stuff jars with quartered green tomatoes.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt to the top of each jar.
- Pour boiling Vinegar and Water into each jar.
- Wipe the rims of the jars and place prepared lids according to the jar manufactures instructions.
- I turn mine upside down to cool and vacuum lids. No water bath or they will get mushy!
- Allow 1 month for the tomatoes to reach full flavor. I can never wait, but they do get better they longer the sit.
So glad to see this recipe. My dad made these and now I do. Very easy and ultra yummy. As far as being 'horrified' with the garlic turning blue....lol...it's just a natural chemical reaction from the minerals in your water....no harm, all good. I do the filter treatment when do my canning; (we have 'horrible' water here)...Read up in Blue Ball Canning Book under pickling tips....can get book online...at library or purchase....Never seen this recipe written down before...Am keeping for 'when I get old and forgetful ;)' Love this recipe! Thanks for sharing!
Just made them. I have no idea what they will taste like. Have never had them before. We had so many green tomatoes left, just had to try something. Will let you know in a month!! Thanks for the recipe.<br/><br/>OK!!! We took them camping this summer and they were a hit!! Going to make them again this year. Thanks
well, I followed recipe exactly and I just looked at my jars and was horrified, my garlic turned blueish, pretty scarry.Made them about a week ago. Don't know what went wrong :( Won't be trying again...sorry