Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Great for using fall pumpkins. No pumpkins? No problem - use canned pumpkin and a bit less stock. Taken from Greek Cooking by Salaman.
- 2 lbs pumpkin, peeled and seeded
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 leeks, trimmed and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 1⁄2 pints chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- cilantro leaf (coriander)
- 4 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- Cut pumpkin into even sized chunks.
- Heat oil, cook leeks and garlic until softened.
- Add ginger and cumin, stir for another minute.
- Add pumpkin chunks and stock, season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil then simmer for 30 minutes or until pumpkin is tender.
- Process soup in blender or with immersion blender.
- Reheat gently, ladle into 4 bowls.
- Swirl a Tbs of Greek yogurt into each bowl, garnish with fresh cilantro leaves.
Wow! I made this recipe for a ZWT9 challenge to adapt a recipe to vegan, and chose this one because it seemed fairly simple to adapt. I made it vegan by using vegetable broth in place of the chicken broth, and replaced the sour cream with a greek garlic and potato sauce called skordalia which was leftover from Roasted Beets With Potato Garlic Sauce-Patzaria (awesome, BTW!). I only used 1/2 tsp cumin, and only 1 tsp of the oil to saute. The result was amazing. The soup is rich and creamy in spite of having virtually no fat other than a tiny bit of oil used to sauté the leek and garlic. When paired with the skordalia, it was a sensual delight. The soup is sweet and creamy, and the skordalia is tangy and garlicky. I kept taking bites with and without skordalia, not able to decide which was better. I came away knowing that this was the best of all worlds - I really CAN have my cake and eat it too! I will make this recipe again, both in it's original form and in it's new vegan adaptation. Thanks for posting!
Reviewed for ZWT9 Family Picks- an easy and delicious pumpkin soup. I used butternut pumpkin for this recipe- I think this is known as butternut squash in US.