Recipe by Shirl (J) 831
Their fragrant aroma warms the cold winter morning air. Try serving with whipped topping spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg.
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 egg white, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, stir together first 8 ingredients.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in butter till mixture resembles coarse crumbs and make a well in the center.
- In a small bowl, stir together egg yolk, molasses and milk.
- Add to center of flour mixture and combine with a fork, mix well.
- Mixture will be dry in texture.
- Turn dough onto lighlty floured surface.
- Quickly knead dough for 10-12 strokes or till nearly smooth.
- Pat into a 7" circle and cut in 8 wedges.
- Arrange wedges one inch apart on ungreased sheet.
- Brush with egg white and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake 400 for 12-15 minutes till light brown.
- Best when served warm.