Recipe by Seeprats
This one is from an old newspaper clipping...with of course a few personal variations.
- 8 ounces plain flour
- 6 ounces golden syrup
- 4 ounces soft margarine
- 2 ounces black treacle
- 2 ounces brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1⁄4 pint milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- In a saucepan,warm golden syrup, treacle, margarine and sugar.
- Remove from heat, add milk and then leave to cool.
- Stir beaten eggs into the mixture.
- In a separate big bowl, sieve the flour, spices, bicarbonate of soda and ginger.
- Fold in the treacle mixture and keep stirring until smooth.
- Line a greased 8-inch baking tray.
- Pour the mixture into the tin.
- Bake for 90 minutes.