Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Let me know what you think about this Filipino calamari!
- 6 pieces of raw squid
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 cup chopped garlic
- 1⁄4 cup jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced (1 tsp. red chili flakes can be substituted)
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- flour, as needed
- salt and pepper, as needed
- vegetable oil, as needed
Sweet Garlic Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup rice vinegar or 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 3 tablespoons garlic and red chile paste
- kosher salt, as needed
- cornstarch, as needed
- For Calamari:.
- Put sliced squid in the eggs, drain excess eggs and put into seasoned flour.
- Shake off excess flour and deep fry until brown and tender.
- In a heated sauté pan, sauté garlic, pepper, and cilantro and add fried squid. Seasoning as needed.
- Served with sliced lemons and/or Sweet Garlic Sauce.
- Garlic Sauce:.
- Combine water and vinegar and bring to a boil.
- Add the brown sugar, garlic, chili garlic paste, salt into the heated liquid and allow to simmer.
- Thicken with the cornstarch slurry.
- Serve with fried item.