Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I have tried a lot of hummus recipes, and this one is a combination of a few of my favorites, and is now the only one I use. I grow my own little Super Hot Chili Peppers and so that is what I use, but you can substitute any pepper you like, or use hot pepper flakes. I like a lot of garlic and a bit of a kick, but this recipe is easily alterable to your own tastes so adjust it as you see fit. I like my hummus thick so I usually skip the water. Another nice variation is to add a bit of red, green, and yellow bell peppers. It makes the hummus really pretty! Any hummus lover will tell you that the spread can be used so many ways. My favorite uses for this is as a vegetable dip or as a sandwich spread in a whole wheat veggie wrap. Yum!
- 538.64 g can garbanzo beans, drained
- 29.58 ml tahini
- 29.58 ml lemon juice
- 14.79 ml water, amount as needed
- 3 clove garlic, crushed
- 2.46 ml ground cumin
- 1.23 ml cayenne pepper
- 1 hot chili pepper
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- paprika, to taste
- Process garbanzo beans, tahini, chili pepper, garlic, and lemon juice in a food processor or blender (I use a mini-chopper) until smooth.
- Add water as needed to achieve the consistency you prefer.
- Place mixture into a glass bowl.
- Stir in cumin, cayenne pepper, paprika, salt and black pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least a couple of hours.
- The flavor improves greatly if given this time to develop.
Wonderful! The only change I made was to use the water off of the garbanzo beans insteat of tap water. I used a jalepeno for the pepper. Next time I may mince a red pepper too for more color. I may try pepper flakes also. Thank you for submitting
Really good hummus. I used a chipotle chili pepper in adobo sauce and, man, did it come out hot! Whew. There was steam coming out of my ears! But it was very yummy. My husband like it too. Didn't miss the olive oil usually found in hummus at all.
Yumm! A great hummus recipe - but you do need to know how hot your one chili pepper is! ;-) My hummus turned out very hot indeed, but fortunately my friends and I like it hot! Will use less chili the next time, but will definitely stick with this recipe, this is excellent stuff! Thank you!