I have tried a lot of hummus recipes, and this one is a combination of a few of my favorites, and is now the only one I use. I grow my own little Super Hot Chili Peppers and so that is what I use, but you can substitute any pepper you like, or use hot pepper flakes. I like a lot of garlic and a bit of a kick, but this recipe is easily alterable to your own tastes so adjust it as you see fit. I like my hummus thick so I usually skip the water. Another nice variation is to add a bit of red, green, and yellow bell peppers. It makes the hummus really pretty! Any hummus lover will tell you that the spread can be used so many ways. My favorite uses for this is as a vegetable dip or as a sandwich spread in a whole wheat veggie wrap. Yum!
- Process garbanzo beans, tahini, chili pepper, garlic, and lemon juice in a food processor or blender (I use a mini-chopper) until smooth.
- Add water as needed to achieve the consistency you prefer.
- Place mixture into a glass bowl.
- Stir in cumin, cayenne pepper, paprika, salt and black pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least a couple of hours.
- The flavor improves greatly if given this time to develop.