Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
I'm posting this for my friend Riffraff who is looking for a good pickle recipe. This one has been passed around my family for years. The original came from my cousin's MIL. Mom's grandkids grew up eating these, now I'm making them for my kids and soon my grandkids. Note that because these are not pre-brined they must sit for 6-8 weeks before serving.
- Wash cucumbers, drain.
- Cut cucumbers lengthwise into quarters.
- Bring water, vinegar and salt to a boil.
- Place 1 dried pepper, 1 clove garlic and 1 sprig dill into each hot sterilized jar.
- Pack cucumbers tightly into jars.
- Ladle hot liquid over cucumbers, leaving 1/4 inch head space (This should cover the cucumbers).
- Remove air bubbles by running a knife down into the jars.
- Put lids and rings on jars.
- Process for 15 minutes in a boiling water canner.
- Remove jars to a towel on a counter.
- The lids should be sealed (you won't be able to"pop" the lids).
- Allow to sit for at least 6-8 weeks before opening.