Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Tasty mixture of spice and garlic create a crispy chicken coating that will be the hit any time it is served.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon red pepper sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, mashed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- In a deep bowl mix together buttermilk, pepper sauce, and mashed garlic.
- Cut chicken breasts in half lengthwise so that they are in strips roughly 1 inch wide and 4-7 inches long.
- Add chicken to buttermilk, pepper, garlic mix and stir so that chicken is well coated. Cover the bowl and marinate in the refrigerator several hours or overnight.
- Remove chicken from refrigerator about 1/2 hour before cooking.
- In a shallow dish mix together the all purpose flour, oregano, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne, salt, and ground pepper. Exact amounts of spices can be adjusted to personal tastes.
- Remove chicken from buttermilk mixture one piece at a time shake off excess liquid and then toss into flour mixture to coat. Place each piece on a clean dry baking pan. When all pieces are coated, dip each piece, one at a time again, into buttermilk and toss again in flour mixture, remove and set in back into baking pan.
- Pour about 1 1/2 inches of vegetable oil (canola, corn, peanut, etc.) into a heavy skillet or use a deep fryer filled with oil (as per fryer specifications), and heat oil to 360 degrees.
- Carefully drop pieces of chicken a few at a time into hot oil and cook about 3-4 minutes until pieces are golden brown. Do not add too many pieces at one time or the oil temperature will drop too low.
- Remove chicken from hot oil and place on clean paper towels to drain. These serve immediately or allow to cool to room temperature.
- For extra spicy chicken increase amount of cayenne pepper in flour mixture.
I really need to stop my consumption of fried foods, buy ya know what? I'm just too sexy for my cheetah spandex ...too sexy for my cheetah spandex.