1/3 Photos of Spicy Gai Lan and Bean Curd Soup
Sue Lau's Note:
Gai Lan, which is known as Chinese broccoli, can be found at many Asian grocers. But if you can't find it, don't despair, fresh tender broccoli can be substituted in a pinch (it tastes quite similar anyway). This makes a wonderful light soup which can be totally vegetarian if you wish. It does turn out a bit spicy with the full three peppers sliced in (with the seeds)(I used fresh red Thai dragons in the recipe), so adjust the heat to your own taste. I think this also might be nice with chicken substituted for the tofu- if you choose to do that, add about 10-12 ounces of chopped cooked chicken where you would add the tofu. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 62 ounces clear vegetable broth or 62 ounces chicken broth (I used chicken broth in mine)
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce (optional)
- 10 ounces very thinly sliced fresh gai lan, stems and florets (may substitute fresh broccoli)
- 1 -3 small fresh hot red chile, sliced
- 1 (12 ounce) package low-fat extra-firm silken tofu, drained and cut into large cubes
- 2 scallions, sliced fine
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1Bring broth, ginger, sesame oil, and soy sauce (if using) to a boil in a large sauce pan.
- 2Add sliced gai lan and chopped chillies, return to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 4-6 minutes until crisp-tender.
- 3Gently add tofu and chopped scallions to soup, stirring without breaking tofu.
- 4Cook 2-3 minutes on low heat or until soup is heated though.
- 5Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Gai Lan and Bean Curd Soup
Serving Size: 1 (461 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 14.9
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 0.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-fat extra-firm silken tofu