Prep 40 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is one of my favourite ways to prepare eggplant. Can also substitute as meat in a vegetarian diet.
- Cut eggplant into 1cm/ 1/2 inch slices.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt and sit in colander for 30 minutes and allow to drain.
- Wipe slices dry on paper towels.
- Beat egg lightly in bowl with milk, spice and seasoning.
- Spread cornmeal on a plate.
- Heat oil for frying.
- Dip each piece of eggplant in egg mixture and allow excess to drip off, dip the slice in the cornmeal and shallow or deep fry until golden brown.
- Drain on kitchen paper and keep warm until all slices are fried.
- Serve hot.
I made this as an appetiser for friends, as my friend's DH said he didn't like eggplant - he loved it! I sprayed with olive oil & baked in the oven for 20 mins, with great results. Served with a salsa ranch dip. Loved by all. Will definitely make this again. Thanks for sharing this keeper.
This was quick and easy to make; and yummy to eat. I did substitute 1/2 cup flour + 1/2 cup of cornmeal for the one full cup of cornmeal. The next time I make it, I will mix the spices in with the dry ingredients, rather than with with milk and egg. I served this with lemon wedges and marinara sauce.
The eggplants around here are the skinny Lebanese type. The good thing about that is that the salting process is unnecessary. The bad news is that the shape is a little less wieldy using half eggplants instead of rounds. However this method is pretty simple even for someone like me who normally avoids battered fried things and lacks the practice. Four stars for ease.