Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
A delicious fried corn is simmered with spicy sausage and seasoned chicken stock, then finished off in the oven making the perfect main dish or side serving.
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons corn oil
- 1 (8 ounce) can chicken stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) packagefresh, uncooked spicy sausage
- 2 cups half cooked frozen corn (unsweetened, unsalted and drained) or 2 cups fresh cut corn (unsweetened, unsalted and drained)
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄4 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the Chicken Stock, Heavy Cream, Salt, Garlic Powder, Black Pepper and Tabasco.
- Set aside.
- In a large skillet or oven-safe saute pan, cook and crumble fresh sausage until lightly brown and remove with spatula and drain on paper towels.
- Save the pan drippings from the sausage and in that same pan, add the corn oil.
- In the pan with just the corn oil and sausage drippings, after the corn oil has gotten hot, cook the white onions until they are transparent, glassy, and sizzling, sitrring and moving around with spatula.
- Add the corn to the pan, frying on a medium to high heat for 5-7 minutes, moving it around with a spatula and making sure not to burn.
- Still on a medium to high heat-- (the corn and the onions should be sizzling) now add back the drained and crumbled cooked sausage and, add the chicken stock mixture tothe pan.
- Stir everything together and cover with lid.
- Let cook covered for 5 min more on a medium to low heat.
- Stir and transfer uncovered pan to a pre-heated 425 oven for 15 min uncovered.
Hey Grandpa Harry! I liked this recipe. I left out the tabasco sauce because my sausage was really spicy. Next time I'll add it. I'm thinking the next time I make this dish I'm going to add a layer of cornbread over the top and bake it longer.