Prep 5 mins
Cook 6 mins
Very easy, crispy nibbles as an alternative to nuts or crispy peas. Epicurious Nov. 07
- vegetable oil (for deep-frying)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained, rinsed, drained again on paper towels, and patted dry
- 3⁄4 teaspoon smoked hot paprika
- 3⁄4 teaspoon flaky sea salt
- In large heavy pot, heat 3 inches oil until deep-fat thermometer registers 375°F Carefully add.
- chickpeas and fry until crisp and dark golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Using fine-mesh spider or slotted spoon,.
- transfer to paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle immediately with paprika and salt and serve hot.
- (Chickpeas can be made up to 4 hours ahead and stored at room temperature. Rewarm in microwave or broiler before serving.).
My family ate one or two and then pushed them to the side. One kid said I should have just served regular peas. The crispy exterior in no way disguises a mealy interior. I so wanted this to be something different and delicious, but it just wasn't meant to be.
Very nice. Being somewhat shy about spiciness, I did use 1/2 t smoked paprika and 1/4 t hot paprika, and used fleur de sel for the salt. And I fried them for 7 to 9 minutes...watching them carefully for the last 3 minutes. I will make these again. Great for a treat for vegan friends.
Add a teaspoon of coarsely crushed toasted cumin seeds when srpinkling paprika. Makes it even more to do for.