1/3 Photos of Spicy Fried Chicken With Buttermilk Gravy
This recipe is off a recipe card I got at a grocery store. It says that the recipe is from Mississippi Memories by Rick Rodgers, Delta Queen Steamboat Company. This recipe recaptures the sumptuous, southern eating traditions found on grand riverboats. This is southern fried chicken...kicked up a notch! Prep time does not include the chicken soaking time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups buttermilk, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed through a press
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 (3 1/2 lb) whole chickens (each cut into 8 pieces)
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- hot pepper sauce, to taste
- 1In a bowl, combine 2 cups buttermilk, garlic and pepper sauce. Add chicken and toss. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- 2Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 3In a large heavy skillet, heat oil over medium high heat until hot but not smoking.
- 4In a large paper bag, combine dry ingredients: flour, paprika, basil, thyme. pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne and salt.
- 5Remove 1/3 of chicken from marinade, shaking off excess. Place chicken in bag and shake to coat. Shake off excess flour and place in skillet.
- 6Cook, turning once, until browned, about 10 minutes. Oil should be hot but not smoking.
- 7Transfer chicken to baking sheet. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- 8Discard marinade but reserve 1/4 c of seasoned flour and leave 3 T of oil in the skillet.
- 9Bake chicken 20-25 minutes.
- 10Transfer to paper towel lined baking sheet.
- 11Return skillet with reserved oil to stove and heat over medium low heat. Whisk in reserved flour and simmer for 2 minutes.
- 12Whisk in 1 cup buttermilk and heat;do not boil.
- 13Season with salt and pepper and pepper sauce to taste.
- 14Transfer chicken to a platter.
- 15Serve with potatoes and gravy.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Fried Chicken With Buttermilk Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (484 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1631.5
- Calories from Fat 1178
- Total Fat 130.9 g
- Saturated Fat 27.0 g
- Cholesterol 262.9 mg
- Sodium 996.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 69.4 g