Prep 2 hrs
Cook 45 mins
My dad loves spicy food and loves fried chicken.
- 1 broiler-fryer chicken, cut up
- salt & pepper
- 1 quart buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon red pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and place in a casserole dish.
- In a bowl, mix buttermilk & hot sauce.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture over the chicken and place in the refrigerator to marinate for 2 hours.
- Heat oil in large skillet.
- Into a large plastic bag, mix flour and seasoning.
- Dredge chicken in flour mixture.
- Place the chicken into the hot oil and fry until golden and crisp. Turn the chicken over, reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for 20 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- When chicken is done, turn the burner up and allow chicken to crisp.
- Turn chicken over and allow the side to crisp.
- Remove chicken from oil. Drain on paper towels.
- Place the chicken into the hot oil and fry until golden and crisp, about 8 to 10 minutes for white meat and 13 to 15 for dark meat. Remove from the fryer onto a paper towel lined sheet tray and season with salt and pepper.