Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Another recipe from cook book
- 1 2⁄3 kg chicken pieces, trimmed (such as drumsticks and small thighs with bone in)
- 1 lime, juice of
- 4 shallots, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 3 cm piece ginger, peeled, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons salt, flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- peanut oil, for deep-frying
- Cut a slit in the top of each chicken pieces.
- Drizzle lime juice over chicken.
- Using a large mortar and pestle, pound shallots, garlic, ginger, turmeric and salt flakes into a paste.
- Combine chicken, spice mixture, bay leaves and 2 tablespoons water in a large wok.
- Cover with wok lid and cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat for 20 minutes, adding a little extra water if necessary. Transfer mixture to a dish. Clean wok.
- Preheat oven to 150°C.
- Pour oil into wok until half full.
- Heat over medium heat until hot.
- Cook chicken, 3 to 4 pieces at a time, for 7 minutes or until crisp and golden, covering with a splatter guard.
- Transfer to a wire rack and keep warm in oven.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.