Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I'd been looking for a good spicy calamari recipe for some time when I stumbled across this recipe from the Global Gourmet. It's wooooonderful.
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 9 -12 squid, 5 to 7 inches long, cleaned and sliced
- 3 -4 cups canola oil
- lemon wedges or lime wedge
Lemon Aioli (use 1 cup)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 tablespoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 slice white bread, crusts removed and bread torn into pieces
- 2 cups olive oil or 2 cups canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup ice water (optional)
- For the Calamari place the flour and Cajun spice mix in a large bowl and mix. Add the squid and turn until all the pieces are thoroughly coated. Shake off the excess mixture.
- In a large, heavy pot or deep-fryer over medium heat, heat the oil to 375°F or until almost smoking.
- Fry the squid for 2 to 3 minutes, or until a light golden brown.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Serve immediately with lemon or lime wedges and Lemon Aioli.
- For the Lemon Aioli place the zest, juice, mustard, garlic, egg yolks, pepper, salt, and bread in a blender or food processor and puree to a smooth paste.
- With the machine running, drizzle in the oil. If the aioli appears too thick, add 2 tablespoons of water at a time to adjust the consistency. Store in an airtight jar in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
i really felt like a calamari salad - so i made this and had a salad with olives and avacado underneath - the aioli was great! - its the first time i've made it and it was probably a little thicker than it should have been - but it was awesome! thanks for inspiring me to make my first aioli!