Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Serve as an accompaniment to rice and curries. Makes 6 servings
Make and share this Spicy Fried Cabbage recipe from Food.com.
- 1 head cabbage (small & firm, I prefer red)
- 4 tablespoons oil (I prefer olive)
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 2 green chilies, small, fresh seeded & sliced (I prefer 1 large Jalapeno)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons coconut, shredded (optional)
- Shred cabbage coarsely. Heat oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion and chillies until soft. Add garlic and ginger and fry, stirring until slightly caramerlized (if using red cabbage, you will notice a caramelization, but it won't be as distinct. You'll want the cabbage still slightly firm).
- Add turmeric and cabbage, fry and toss cabbage in the mixture, then cover and cook over low heat for 10-15 minutes or until cabbage is tender but not mushy.
- Sprinkle with salt and mix well; then add coconut and stir to mix thoroughly. If there is any liquid in the bottom of pan, leave cover off and stir over medium heat until all the liquid is absorbed.
EXCELLENT! I made this last night with just a few differences. I didn't have fresh ginger, so I used 1/2 tsp. dried ginger. I had frozen mild green chilis that we grew, so I used 4 of those. Canned ones would work I'm sure. Next time I'll add a jalapeno too. We LOVED this Rachael! Tonight I'll top the leftovers with mashed potatoes and pop in the oven to heat and brown the potatoes. Wish I could have given you 10 stars!