Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
I adore asparagus but too often I trim off the tips and much of the stem goes to waste. I decided to take inspiration from one of my favourite recipes here on Zaar, Spicy Fried Celery #23818 by JanS, to create this use for asparagus stems.
- 20 asparagus spears, stems only, trimmed to 3 inches long
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon chili flakes, or
- 1 small red chile, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Cut the asparagus stems in half lengthwise.
- In a wok, heat the oil until very hot.
- Put in the stems and chilli flakes or chilli and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the water and sugar and cook on a high heat for about 4 minutes or until the stems are nearly tender.
- This may take longer if your stems are especially thick.
- Add the soy sauce and cook a minute longer.
- Serve immediately.
I just broke off the tough ends and cooked tender spears as instructed in the recipe. I did reduce the chili flakes to 2 teaspoons but the remainder of the ingredients stayed the same. These do have a nice kick and went very well with Grilled Cedar Plank Salmon With Lemon-Dill Topping.