Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A unique, indian-style breakfast. From my dad. ADD YOUR OWN TWIST this recipe morphs well. You can vary the amount of spicyness to your taste by adjusting the chili. The turmeric helps prevent alzheimers and adds color and flavor. It is not spicy. this is a both healthy and flavorful to boot. The onions make this phenomenal but they are not necessary. You can use spinach or sliced mushrooms instead of the onion
- 2 slices bread (doesn't have to be white)
- 1 eggs or 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon very finely minced green chili pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oil (for cooking)
- 1⁄2 a small onion, sliced (1/3 cup)
- 1 pinch turmeric
- salt and black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, crushed with knife blade
- more green chili peppers (optional) or chili powder, if desired (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oil
- heat a saute pan on the stove with the oil on medium.
- Whisk together the milk, salt, green chili, egg (or whites), and turmeric in a large shallow bowl.
- Dip the bread into the mixture. submerge both pieces of bread in at once and flip over once coated. Then, let sit in bowl to soak up all the egg.
- Gently transfer the soaked bread to the heated saute pan and take the bowl to the sink. Wash your hands with soap and get out a turner.
- Once you can smell the bread and it is golden brown, turn it over and brown the other side.
- Only for optional: Move the bread to a plate and add the other half teaspoon of oil.
- Add the garlic, chili, turmeric, and onions. (or other veggies).
- saute until the onion is softened and is translucent, but not browned.
- Turn of stove and top the hot bombay toast with the onions.
- This makes a healthy, tasty, and filling breakfast with some fruit.