Prep 1 hr 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Katy found this recipe. A nice soupy chili. Can be thickend when served if you like.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans (Kidney black pinto etc.) or 1 1⁄2 cups dried beans, prepared (Kidney black pinto etc.) or 3 1⁄2 cups cooked beans (Kidney black pinto etc.)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
- PREPARATION: Cook ground beef with onions and garlic in heavy skillet until ground beef is brown and vegetables are tender; drain. Mix all ingredients except cornstarch and water in saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes. If you want a thicker chili, mix cornstarch and water in small bowl until smooth and add to chili, stirring well. Uncover and cook for about 10 minutes, until slightly thickened. 8 servings
- To Freeze: do not add cornstarch and water. Cool quickly in refrigerator, then place in plastic freezer containers and freeze until solid. To reheat, place chili in saucepan with 1/4 cup water and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until reheated. At this point you can add the cornstarch and water mixture if you'd like a thicker chili.