Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
An easy tish dish--ideal for a midweek supper.
- 140 g all-purpose flour
- 2 ml cayenne pepper
- 5 ml dried basil
- 6 hake fillets (or fish of choice)
- 2 eggs, whisked
- fresh breadcrumb
- oil (for frying)
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 375 ml uncooked rice
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 100 g fresh button mushrooms, sliced
- 50 g pecan nuts, coarsely chopped
- Combine the cake flour, cayenne pepper and dried basil and transfer the mixture to a fairly large flat plate.
- Season the hake fillets to taste with salt and roll each fillet in the cake flour mixture.
- Dip each fillet in the whisked egg and roll in the breadcrumbs.
- Place on a baking sheet and chill for about 15 minutes.
- Fry in heated oil until brown on the outside and cooked inside.
- Sauté the onion and green pepper in a little heated oil until soft.
- Add the rice and stir-fry for about 1 minute.
- Pour over the chicken stock and simmer until the rice is tender and done, adding boiling water if necessary.
- Sauté the mushrooms in a separate pan until done and mix with the cooked rice.
- Add the pecan nuts.
- Spoon the rice onto a serving platter or onto individual plates and place the fish on top.
- Serve with tartar sauce or slices of lemon.