Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
A wonderful sweet-and-spicy salad based on a recipe from “Greens” - a magazine by the editors of “Vegetarian Times” - this tasty dish will be enjoyed by both veggie folks and non-veggies alike!
- 22.18 ml olive oil, divided
- 236.59 ml thinly sliced red onion (about 1 small onion)
- 3 plain garlic cloves or 3 roasted garlic cloves, minced
- 184.27 g jar marinated artichoke hearts, marinade reserved
- 1 roasted red pepper (from the jar is fine, and using 2 peppers is tasty, too)
- 1.23 ml chili powder
- 0.5 ml dried ancho chile powder
- 10 fresh figs, halved
- 946.36 ml packed Baby Spinach (can use 2 bunches trimmed watercress)
- fresh ground black pepper (I prefer the tricolor) or tricolor pepper (I prefer the tricolor)
- 78.07 ml olive oil (1/3 cup reserved marinade from artichoke hearts)
- 44.37 ml fresh lime juice, to taste (from the bottle is okay, but fresh is better!)
- 12.32 ml red wine vinegar
- 4.92 ml honey or 4.92 ml brown rice syrup
- 4.92 ml pomegranate syrup (aka pomegranate molasses)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper or tricolor pepper, to taste
- 118.29 ml chopped pecans
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (about 1/4 cup, aka scallions)
- 78.07 ml crumbled feta cheese
- Prepare the ingredients: 1) thinly slice the red onion, 2) remove artichokes from jar, reserving the marinade if desired for dressing, and rinse, drain, and halve them, 3) slice the roasted pepper to about 1/8-1/4 inch slices, 4) halve the figs, 5) squeeze a ripe lime for the juice, and 6) slice the green onions. Now you’re ready to put together the salad!
- In a skillet over medium temperature, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil (from the 1 1/2 Tbsp, divided) and add the red onion and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes. Add a pinch of salt and a turn of your pepper mill and sauté for another minute.
- Add the prepared artichoke hearts and roasted red pepper and sauté until heated through, about 2 minutes, then transfer to a bowl and set aside. Do not wipe out the skillet you used.
- Add the remaining olive oil (from the 1 1/2 Tbsp, divided), chili powder, and pinches ancho powder to the same skillet and heat over medium temperature. Stir to combine the oil and powders, distributing the mixture evenly in the bottom of the pan. Lay the halved figs cut-side-down on the mixture and let cook for 2 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Make the salad dressing in a bowl by whisking together either 1/3 cup olive oil or 1/3 cup of reserved marinade and the lime juice, vinegar, honey, pomegranate syrup, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Get out a serving platter and place the baby spinach on it, then top artfully with the artichoke mixture and drizzle with 3-4 tablespoons of the dressing. Top with the seasoned fig halves and garnish with pecans, green onions, and crumbled feta. Place remaining dressing in a serving bowl with spoon, serve salad, and enjoy!
- Note: I'm thinking that the dressing with a revision using yogurt and much less oil would also be very nice for this salad!
Great salad. Loved the figs and the spices together.