Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
Have a fiesta any day of the week! This soup is warm and filling – and easily prepared. Spicy and flavorful, and using ingredients readily found in your pantry, this soup comes together quickly and is sure to please a hungry family. Serve with a side salad and warm tortillas for dipping, or use the garnish option of crushed corn tortilla chips and shredded cheddar cheese. Ole!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, fine dice (seeded and deribbed)
- 6 cups chicken broth (or water with chicken-flavored bouillon)
- 3⁄4 cup long grain brown rice, rinsed before cooking
- 2 tablespoons dried onion, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce (regular or Mexican style)
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (8 -10 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice (Rotel or regular)
- corn tortilla chips
- 2 -4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large stock pot, add olive oil and jalapeno. Sauté pepper until soft and fragrant, 3-4 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, measure out the rice. Put rice in a strainer/fine colander and rinse under cold running water until water runs clear. (This removes some of the starch.).
- To the stock pot, add the brown rice, onion, tomato sauce, seasonings, pinto beans and diced tomatoes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, stir pot, cover and simmer 30-45 minutes (until rice is done, according to your package directions).
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls. Add crushed corn tortilla chips and sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese.
I've made this soup several times and it is a wonderful weeknight meal. Thanks for sharing!
Very easy to prepare, very healthy, and very GOOD! Made as directed. My DH thought there were "too many beans" and I thought of replying as did the country song with "Is that like too much fun or too much money!" I love the beans in this and the brown rice. It heated up well the next day for lunch and still had a great presentation. Perhaps adding more taco seasoning or something similar might take this to the next level for me. Thanks, FloridaNative! Made for Best of 2010 Tag Game upon Nif's recommendation.
Great soup! But then again, I love soup. This was warm and filling. DH didn't even miss the meat. Can't wait to taste the leftovers! Will definitely make this again. Made and reviewed for Dining on a $ ~ Fall 2010.