Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Cooking Light, this sounds like a really yummy stew and healthy for you too! Ethiopian Berbere spice is a mixture of dried chiles, cloves, ginger, coriander, and allspice that Cooking Light says can be found at gourmet markets and specialty stores.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 cups red onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced peeled and fresh
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons berbere, spice
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup red lentil, dried and small
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups basmati rice, hot cooked
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion to pan; cook 15 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add ginger and garlic; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in tomato paste and Berbere spice; cook 1 minute, stirring to combine. Gradually add broth, stirring with a whisk until blended. Increase heat to medium-high; bring to a simmer.
- Rinse lentils in cold water; drain. Add lentils to broth mixture; simmer, partially covered, 35 minutes or until lentils are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in salt. Sprinkle with cilantro. Serve over rice.