Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A good old-fashioned pork casserole flavoured with honey, dates, spices and fresh herbs.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 lbs pork legs, boned, cubed
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups red wine
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 1⁄4 ounces pitted dates, roughly chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs, chopped to serve
- Preheat oven to 400°F Heat the oil and gently fry the onion and garlic for 10 minutes
- Toss the meat in the flour combined with the spices and seasoning and add to the onion.
- Fry the meat, stirring occasionally until evenly browned. Stir in the red wine with the honey and continue to cook over a medium heat, stirring for a further minute.
- Add the dates and potato and transfer to an oven proof casserole dish.
- Cover and cook for 2-2½ hours or until the meat is thoroughly cooked. Just before serving stir in the fresh herbs.
very tasty worth a shot not as bad as you may think
This recipe is absolutely delicious. However instead of cooking in our oven I cooked on high in our crockpot for about 5 hours. Stunning and the sauce well that's so yummy!!!
This dish was very tasty. I didn't have dried dated so I used dried peaches and they were delicious. The fresh herb I used was cilantro which went well with the ginger and cumin.