Recipe by hannahactually
From "5 Spices, 50 Dishes" by Ruta Kahate.
Top Review by *Parsley*
Soooo yummy! This was spicy, but in a pleasant, exotic flavorful way; not "hot" spicy. It's a perfect use for summer garden eggplants and tomatoes. I agree that it's important not to let the eggplant get mushy. I made this as written. I would have garnished with fresh cilantro, but I was out.... next time! Thanx!
- 1 large italian eggplant (about 1 lb)
- 44.37 ml canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4.92 ml garlic, finely grated
- 4.92 ml ginger, finely grated
- 4.92 ml ground turmeric
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml cayenne
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 7.39 ml salt
- 4.92 ml sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- cut eggplants into 1/2-inch cubes.
- heat oil in large wok over medium heat and saute onion until soft, about 5 minute add garlic, ginger, turmeric, cumin, and cayenne, and saute for another 2 minute if the mixture begins to stick to bottom of pan, deglaze by adding a few TB water and using a spatula to loosen the browned bits.
- add eggplant, tomatoes, salt, and sugar, and toss until eggplant is well coated with onion-spice mixture.
- cover and cook over medium-low heat until eggplant is soft but not mushy, about 10 minute serve warm.