Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I based this on how my mother makes it. She got it from our neighbors in the western part of India. Spice mix are guesstimates. Adjust to your taste
- 1 eggplant, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons coriander powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Make slits on the eggplant slices.
- Mix all the other ingredients ( spices) except the oil.
- Add about a tablespoon of water to wet the mix.
- Apply the spice mix on the eggplant slices.
- Add about a tablespoon of oil to the frying pan and fry a batch of the eggplant slices on one side.
- Turn over the eggplant slices and pour some more oil and fry.
- Complete with the remaining slices.
- Serve with Indian bread.
- Note: I try to use as much less oil as possible.
- Cut up the eggplant into thin strips.
- Heat the oil.
- Put all the ingredients (except eggplant) and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add eggplant strips.
- Cook for about 15-20 minutes on fairly high heat. Stir in between so that nothing sticks to the bottom of the pan.
- Enjoy this easier version :).
In general, I am not a huge fan of eggplant, but this recipe is fabulous. I really enjoy friend foods (eeek! lol), and I loved fried eggplant! I added a pinch of red chile powder as well for a bit of kick. Definitely do not overcook. Served this along with some dhal and chappati. Very nice meal!!! :-)