Recipe by Sana
I based this on how my mother makes it. She got it from our neighbors in the western part of India. Spice mix are guesstimates. Adjust to your taste
Top Review by love4culinary
In general, I am not a huge fan of eggplant, but this recipe is fabulous. I really enjoy friend foods (eeek! lol), and I loved fried eggplant! I added a pinch of red chile powder as well for a bit of kick. Definitely do not overcook. Served this along with some dhal and chappati. Very nice meal!!! :-)
- 1 eggplant, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons coriander powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 tablespoon oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Make slits on the eggplant slices.
- Mix all the other ingredients ( spices) except the oil.
- Add about a tablespoon of water to wet the mix.
- Apply the spice mix on the eggplant slices.
- Add about a tablespoon of oil to the frying pan and fry a batch of the eggplant slices on one side.
- Turn over the eggplant slices and pour some more oil and fry.
- Complete with the remaining slices.
- Serve with Indian bread.
- Note: I try to use as much less oil as possible.
- Cut up the eggplant into thin strips.
- Heat the oil.
- Put all the ingredients (except eggplant) and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add eggplant strips.
- Cook for about 15-20 minutes on fairly high heat. Stir in between so that nothing sticks to the bottom of the pan.
- Enjoy this easier version :).