Recipe by Wish I Could Cook
Eggplant cutlets make a healthy vegetarian entree that can be sliced and chewed just like meat, so it's a popular option for those new to vegetarian eating. In this recipe, thick eggplant slices are baked in the oven in a flavorful marinade. This eggplant recipe is also low in fat, vegan, and cholesterol-free. Originally found on vegetarian.about.com.
- 2 medium eggplants
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice the eggplant into one-inch thick round cutlets and sprinkle each piece with a bit of salt. Allow to sit for at least 15 minutes, then gently rinse and pat dry.
- Arrange the eggplant cutlets in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Whisk together the remaining ingredients, except salt and pepper and brush this marinade onto each side of each piece of eggplant.
- Bake for 7- 8 minutes. Brush with marinade again, and turn pieces over, then bake for another 7 - 8 minutes.
- Heat oven to the broil setting, and broil for 2 - 3 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper before serving.
- These are delicious on their own, but you could also serve with additional hot sauce, if you like.