Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A new take on Mideastern eggplant salad.
- 2 -3 Japanese eggplants
- 1 large red pepper (capsicum)
- olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped roughly
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soya sauce
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon minced fresh green chile
- 2 tablespoons mint, chopped
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- Cut eggplants into medium thick circles and soak for 5 minutes in salted water; drain and pat dry.
- Place eggplant rounds onto a oven tray and drizzle olive oil over.
- Cut red pepper into long medium strips; drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake eggplants and peppers separately until char grilled (it should be soft but firm at the same time).
- Place grilled eggplants onto a serving plate.
- Arrange pepper slices over branjan.
- Heat the olive oil and fry the garlic till light pink (be careful--it burns quickly).
- Add all the rest of the ingredients except the mint.
- Cook for a few minutes.
- Pour dressing over eggplants and peppers.
- Garnish with the chopped mint.
Most wonderful flavours in this roasted red pepper and eggplant salad!