Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
The combination of cumin and fennel, freshly grated ginger, coriander and cardamom make this a delicious and spicy side dish that's also suitable for vegetarians.
- 2 large eggplants
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 lb tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- chopped fresh coriander, for garnish
- Wipe the eggplants and remove the stalks; cut into bite size pieces.
- Fry the eggplant in the oil for about 5 minutes, or until brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Fry the cumin and fennel seeds for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes, grated ginger, crushed garlic, coriander, cardamom and vegetable broth; simmer for about 20 minutes until the mixture thickens to your desired consistency.
- Return the eggplant pieces to the pan and heat through.
- Serve eggplant garnished with freshly chopped coriander leaves.
this recipe was so good I couldnt stop eating lol thanks
Extremely delicious. A wonderful blend of flavors. Will certainly keep this under my eggplant fav's Did not change a thing. thanks dear carla