Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Giant Food Healthy Ideas, this is almost vegan save for the butter (but that could be fixed with Earth Balance in stick form.) This looks like a delicious holiday treat or something to make in cupcake form with a gingered frosting. (ooh that gives me an idea.) I'm posting this as written for the time being though, makes one 8 x 8 pan to be cut into 9 little squares. I think you can double this recipe using a 9 x 13 pan and baking 5-10 minutes longer.
- 3⁄4 cup molasses (unsulfured)
- 2⁄3 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened (or Earth Balance)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 1⁄4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting the top
- Combine the molasses, boiling water, butter, and oil in a mixing bowl. Stir until the butter is melted.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, and spices in another bowl then add to the bowl with the wet ingredients and whisk until completely melded.
- Grease an 8 x 8 (9 x 13 if doubling) baking pan with a little oil or cooking spray and lightly dust with some flour for easy extraction. Pour the batter into the pan and spread evenly.
- Bake at 350F for 25-35 minutes or until the edges begin to pull away form the sides of the pan and/or a cake tester in the center comes out clean. Let cool.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar if you like, it makes for nice presentation. The recipe card also suggests topping with sliced peaches, vanilla frozen yogurt, or applesauce with raisins.