Recipe by mermaiden91
This yummy vegetarian recipe was give to us by some friends. They have their own restaurant so we knew it would be good. I'm really not sure how long prep time is so I've just put in a rough guess.
Top Review by WeLikeItHot
Very good! Kid friendly vegetables. Spices were more sweet than spicy hot. My version used some cherry tomatoes that were on their last days, and I substituted ground mustard for the seeds (I thought I had mustard seeds then realized that I didn't). I also added 2 turns of freshly ground black pepper (read in a parenting magazine that black pepper combined with tumeric is extra healthy) and used only half the cumin. At first glance I thought that it wouldn't make that much so I doubled the recipe (I was wrong). Now I have lots of yummy leftovers.
- 2 carrots
- 2 potatoes, Large
- 2 tomatoes
- 250 g green beans
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel carrots, potatoes and tomatoes and dice.
- Trim beans and cut into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a heavy based saucepan and fry mustard seed until they pop, add onion, garlic and ginger and fry stirring frequently until onion is golden.
- Stir in turmeric, coriander, cumin and chilli powder and fry for a few seconds then toss in vegetables until coated with spices and oil.
- Add salt to taste.
- Add 3 tablespoons water, cover and cook for 15minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir gently every 5 minutes and add a little more water if necessary.
- Sprinkle with garam masala just before end of cooking.
- Serve with rice or bread of your choice.