Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe makes one large (9 inch loaf - bake 60 - 65 minutes) or 3 small loaves. From the Pumpkins and Squash Cookbook by Kathleen Desmond Stang.
- 1 cup flour
- 2⁄3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups pumpkin (or homemade) or 1 1⁄4 cups winter squash puree, canned (or homemade)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup dates, chopped
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds, hulled or 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine flours, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, allspice and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Combine pumpkin puree, brown sugar, egg, oil, yoghurt and dates in a large bowl. Add flour mixture and stir just until moistened.
- Pour or spoon into 3 greased 5 3/4 x 3 1/4 x 2 inch loaf pans and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick, inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire cooling rack and let cook thoroughly.
- Cut into thin slices to serve.