Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
This dal will be loved by those who enjoy eating spicy food. This dal and achar paste is a combination not to be missed!
Top Review by Galley Devil
I was in the mood for something spicy yet simple today, and this recipe has been in my cookbook for quite some time now. Used ingredients I almost always have on hand. I didn't pressure-cook the lentils though. Instead, I boiled it in enough water to cover the lentils (adding a little hot water if needed) till they were soft enough and then mashed them. Also, I added the finely chopped onions to the pot about a minute before the mashed lentils. Other than that, I followed the rest of the recipe as written and used 4 slightly heaped tablespoons of mango achar. Served it with hot parathas and seasoned yoghurt. A very nice dish and a definite keeper. TY for posting Charishma.
- 1 cup red gram (split)
- 1 onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard seeds (black)
- 5 curry leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- coriander leaves (for garnishing)
- 4 -6 tablespoons achar (except lime achar)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pressure cook the toor dal.
- Mash well.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil.
- Once done, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves.
- Next, add the finely chopped onion and dal.
- Then, add the achar paste.
- Garnish with corriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rice or rotis.