I had originally made this soup for my Christmas Dinner last year. I found the recipe on epicurious.com. I believe the recipe was originally found in "Oprah Magazine" by way of "Simply Recipes" on www.elise.com. My family and I really enjoyed this soup... It's full of flavour and the spice is perfect for a cold evening. I really love this recipe and hope you do too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 59.16 ml unsalted butter (or margarine)
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 9.85 ml minced garlic cloves
- 0.59-1.23 ml crushed red pepper flakes
- 9.85 ml curry powder
- 2.46 ml ground coriander
- 0.25 ml ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3 (1275.72 g) can pumpkin puree (or 6 cups of chopped roasted pumpkin)
- 1182.95 ml chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 473.18 ml milk
- 118.29 ml brown sugar
- 118.29 ml heavy cream
- 1Melt butter in a 4-quart saucepan over mediium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring often until softened, about 4 minutes. Add spices and stir for a minute more.
- 2Add pumpkin and 5 cups of chicken broth; blend well. Bring to a boil and reduce heat, simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- 3Transfer soup, in batches, to a blender or food processor. Cover tightly and blend until smooth. Return soup to saucepan. (I use a hand blender instead to puree the soup right in the pot).
- 4With the soup on low heat, add brown sugar and mix. Slowly add milk while stirring to incorporate. Add cream. Adjust seasonings to taste. If a little too spicy, add more cream to cool it down. You might want to add a teaspoon of salt.
- 5Garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds and/or sour cream (optional).
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Curry Pumpkin Soup
Serving Size: 1 (351 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 273.7
- Calories from Fat 131
- Total Fat 14.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 44.1 mg
- Sodium 509.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 17.1 g
- Protein 7.5 g