Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Try this Thai-inspired salad with chicken or fish. The sugar in the dressing balances the heat of the red pepper. From Cooking Light. (Prep time doesn't include 1 hour for cucumber to drain).
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cucumbers, peeled, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup rice vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons minced red onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped dry roasted peanuts
- Place the cucumber slices in a colander; sprinkle with salt. Toss well. Drain 1 hour.
- Place cucumber slices on several layers of paper towels; cover with additional paper towels. Let stand 5 minutes, pressing down occasionally. Rinse and pat dry.
- Note: Salting the cucumber removes moisture so they'll be more crisp in the salad.
- Combine vinegar, water, sugar, and pepper in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook until reduced to 1/3 cup (about 10 minutes). Remove from heat; cool. Stir in onion.
- Combine cucumbers and vinegar reduction in a medium bowl; toss well. Sprinkle with peanuts.
Loved this so much, will be making it lots. thank you
Wow the first bite was sweet and then the heat hit Wow. Made as written and the cucumbers were so cool and crispy which was a wonderful contrast to the sweet and hot dressing . Love the peanuts on top. This is a great side and would also make a great pot luck dish. Thanks so much for the post.
I am so glad I stumbled upon this recipe before my cucumbers went bad! This recipe is very unique and I will definitely make it again. I did make several changes due to the fact that some of the ingredients weren't on hand- instead of just peanuts, I mixed crunchy peanut butter with a bit of lime juice and soy sauce, and ended up with a creamy thai-esque sauce. Very good!