- 1 1⁄2 lbs cucumbers, peeled, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup rice vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons minced red onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped dry roasted peanuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the cucumber slices in a colander; sprinkle with salt. Toss well. Drain 1 hour.
- Place cucumber slices on several layers of paper towels; cover with additional paper towels. Let stand 5 minutes, pressing down occasionally. Rinse and pat dry.
- Note: Salting the cucumber removes moisture so they'll be more crisp in the salad.
- Combine vinegar, water, sugar, and pepper in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook until reduced to 1/3 cup (about 10 minutes). Remove from heat; cool. Stir in onion.
- Combine cucumbers and vinegar reduction in a medium bowl; toss well. Sprinkle with peanuts.