Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
To use in Thai Fishcakes With Sweet Chilli Sauce and Cucumber Relish. The dressing can be made one day in advance and refrigerate. Then add to relish ingredients just before serving.
- 1 cup coconut vinegar or 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 dash fish sauce
- 1 large English cucumber
- 4 small red chilies, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted peanuts, roasted and crushed
- 1⁄3 cup fresh coriander, chopped (including stems)
- Combine the vinegar, sugar and fish sauce in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring occasionally and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Peel cucumber, scrape out seeds and cut into small dice.
- Place the cucumber, chillies, peanuts and coriander in a bowl.
- Pour over dressing and toss gently.
Originally rated on 3/14/09 - This recipe made it into my book#266453. Fantastic!!! I loved the flavor combination here. I was worried because I didn't have coconut vinegar and just used white vinegar. It was still FABULOUS. Also, I couldn't find red chilies so I subbed jalapenos and added a little chopped sweet red pepper for color. For the peanuts, I just used regular salted peanuts, without roasting them. The relish flavor is out of this world and I could eat a whole bowl without anything else!!! Note: Don't add all of your liquid to the relish at once. I only added about half of the liquid and it was plently. Use your judgement. I served this relish atop Thai Fishcakes With Sweet Chilli Sauce and Cucumber Relish. YUM!