Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 hrs 15 mins
Another Singaporean pickle recipe from the "Nonya Favourites" cookbook; these are a delicious twist on dill pickles. They're spicy in the sense of being spiced; if you like more heat, add more chili powder. I have also successfully used prepared grainy mustard in place of the mustard seeds. Cook time includes "pickling time" overnight.
- Cut cucumber in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Cut flesh into 3.5 cm juliennes.
- Mix 1 tsp salt with cucumbers, and let sit for 15 minutes to draw out the extra moisture.
- Cut the carrot into pieces the same size as the cucumber.
- Heat oil in a wok and add ginger and mustard seeds, cooking until mustard seeds pop. Stir in the turmeric and chili powder, then add the vegetables, sugar, and salt and saute for 2 minutes (do not overcook, the vegetables should stay crunchy).
- Remove from heat and mix well with vinegar. Allow the vegetables to cool in the pan, then place in a jar. Refrigerate overnight before serving.
Outstanding. It has the real spicy flavour with the subtle flavour of mustard and ginger root.