Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 hrs
EASY EASY EASY!!! You want spicy and easy, this is your recipe! Warning...very spicy!
Make and share this Spicy Crock Pot Chicken Chile Verde (Low Fat) recipe from Food.com.
- Boil tomatillos and jalapenos in water for 15 minutes.
- Take out and peel tomatillos (THEY WILL BE HOT TO THE TOUCH).
- Take off stems of jalapenos, but leave in seeds and put them with the tomatillos into a blender.
- Mix for 15 seconds.
- Put into the crock pot with everything else.
- Cook on high for 3 1/2 hours, and then take chicken out and shred.
- Put back in for 1 hour, and serve with rice, or tortillas and beans.
After I shredded the meat, it was 59 minutes and 45 seconds later and I headed for the crockpot to taste this dish. Sure enough, as promised, our eyes watered and our tongues were stinging-but we were in heaven, it's just how we LIKE it! On fire, it's the only way to be....
Awesome recipe. The heat level is perfect! I don't think you need to peel the tomatillos though, as I didn't and the dish turned out fine. I'm thinking next time that I might skip boiling them, as I like my salsa verde to have a bit of a sour flavor. Thanks for sharing this!
I have made this in the past and forgot to review it. The base is good for whatever is your taste in meat be it chicken, pork, or beef.
Now, let me help you a little with the whole peeling the tomatillos, toss that step out the window. The skin is not tough or bad tasting. Leave it on, your hands will thank you and the flavor will remain the same. If you like the heat use serrano peppers instead of jalapenos they're usually a bit more potent. Depends on whether you like a more tart taste you can also leave the tomatillos uncooked before putting them in the blender but keep in mind that it does change the flavor a bit to a more tart flavor. When you put it in the blender, add some cilantro for that fresh flavor. My came out delicious and I'm making it again, so I decided to review the recipe.