Recipe by Sandi (From CA)
The crisp and flavorful crust is created by cooking with panko (a type of flaky breadcrumb with a light, coarse texture) and Asian chili sauce. I recommend Sriracha chili sauce, similar in flavor to a spicy ketchup. The direction list looks long because I include instructions on how to press the liquid from tofu. Pressing time isn't included in prep/cook estimate.
Top Review by Aunt Cookie
I love sriracha, so I knew I was going to like this. I followed the recipe closely, except that I sliced the tofu thinner (more surface area for the crust). I was afraid that the dressing would be a little bland, but it was perfect for this recipe. Spicy tofu, creamy avocado, refreshing salad...perfect. Thanks!
- 1 (14 ounce) package extra firm tofu, drained
- 1⁄3 cup spicy Asian chili sauce (or to taste, Sriracha brand with the rooster recommended)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- coarse salt
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 heads butter lettuce or 2 heads boston lettuce, washed, dried and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup fresh whole mint leaf
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and thinly sliced lengthwise
Directions See How It's Made
- HOW TO PRESS TOFU: Lay cut tofu flat on baking sheet lined with a double layer of paper towels.
- Place two more clean towels on top of tofu and add another baking tray.
- Place a heavy skillet or another weight on top to press out excess liquid, 20 to 30 minutes.
- RECIPE DIRECTIONS: After pressing and draining the tofu, cut it in half horizontally (slicing parallel to work surface). Keep the tofu stacked; cut crosswise in half to make four rectangles. Cut each rectangle into two triangles. Press (see below for instructions.).
- In a large bowl, whisk together 1/2 teaspoon chili sauce, orange zest, orange juice and olive oil. Season the mixture with salt to taste. Set aside.
- Pour the remaining 1/3 cup chili sauce into a shallow bowl. Place the panko in a separate shallow bowl. Piece by piece, gently coat the tofu in the chili sauce and then the panko, patting it on each piece to coat.
- In a large, nonstick skillet, heat half the canola oil over medium heat. Gently place half the tofu in skillet. Pan-fry the tofu, turning once, until outsides are crisped and brown, about 3 minutes per side. Remove from heat. Repeat the process with remaining oil and tofu.
- Add lettuce leaves and mint to bowl with dressing; toss to coat. Place equal mounds of salad in center of four plates; fan avocado slices on top. Arrange two tofu triangles next to the avocado and serve immediately.