Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From local newspaper, the Examiner Baltimore Edition 06/12/06.
- 14 ounces regular tofu, drained
- 1⁄2 cup spicy Asian chili sauce
- 1⁄2 cup spicy Asian chili sauce (for dressing)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- coarse salt
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup fresh whole mint leaf
- 2 heads butterhead lettuce
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and sliced
- Cut the tofu in half horizontally. Keep the tofu stacked; cut crosswise in half to make four rectangles. Cut each rectangle into two triangles. Press tofu.
- In a large bowl, whisk 1/2 teaspoons chili sauce, orange zest, orange juice and olive oil. Season the mixture with salt to taste. Set aside.
- Pour the remaining 1/3 cup chili sauce into a shallow bowl. Place the panko in a separate shallow bowl. Coat the tofu in the chili sauce and then the panko.
- In a large, nonstick skillet, heat half the canola oil over medium heat. Plae half the tofu in the skillet. Pan-fry the tofu, turning once, until outsides are crisped and brown, about 3 minutes per side. Remove from heat. Repeat the process with remaining oil and tofu.
- Add lettuce and mint to bowl with dressing; toss to coat. Place equal mounds of salad in center of four plates; fan avocado slices on top. Arrange two tofu triangles next to the avocado and serve immediately.
Really good! I think I added a bit too much mint and too little orange juice... but it ended up being okay. I think ill make it again in the future... Thanks!