Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
If you like it HOT and flavorful, this one is for you! Served with garlic bread it's to die for. I made this one up a couple nights ago and it turned out amazingly well. Use 1/2 a chiptole pepper if you'd rather your pasta not be so spicy (but it'll still have a kick).
- 1 lb chicken breast, cubed
- 4 tablespoons cajun dry rub seasonings or 1 cup cajun marinade
- 1⁄2 lb penne pasta (or other)
- 1 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced spring onion
- 1 cup diced mushroom
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and quartered
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper
- parmesan cheese
- Add rub or marinade to chicken and set in refrigerator for at least an hour (or you can buy an already-cajun-marinated chicken breast).
- In the blender, combine whipping cream, can of tomatoes, garlic, chipotle pepper (pouring in a little of the adobo sauce for an extra flavor boost, if desired), and salt & pepper to taste. Blend well and set aside.
- Sautee marinated/rubbed chicken in olive oil until almost done and then add red pepper, onion and mushroom, sauteeing until vegetables are tender.
- Turn heat down to medium-low and pour cream sauce over chicken & veggies.Simmer for 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- While the sauce is simmering, cook the pasta only about half-way through; when sauce is done simmering and has thickened a bit, add the pasta and coat thoroughly.
- Pour into a baking dish and sprinkle with parmesean cheese; bake covered with foil for 20 minutes; uncover and bake an additional 10-12 minutes. (this is also a good time to add the garlic bread to the oven, if preparing).
- Remove from oven and let sit for a couple of minutes - and then ENJOY!