Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Found this recipe on the Texas Monthly website. I believe this comes from the Cafe Annie restaurant in Houston.
- 20 ounces fresh spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 white onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, stemmed and chopped (remove seeds if milder flavor is desired)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth or 1 cup turkey broth
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Wash spinach and remove any large stems.
- Cut or tear large leaves into small pieces. (Thaw and drain frozen spinach.).
- In saute pan over medium-high heat, melt butter.
- Add onion, garlic, and jalapeños and saute until onions are translucent (do not brown).
- Stir in flour and mix well.
- Add stock and bring to boil.
- In small batches, wilt spinach in pan (if frozen spinach is used, add all at once).
- When all spinach is in pan, add cream and bring to boil.
- Lower heat to simmer.
- Add cheddar cheese and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- May be made and reheated later.