Recipe by Chicagoland Chef du Jour
My SIL made this over the holiday and it was very good. For a saucier pasta dish, you may not want to make 16 oz. of vermicelli. Season to taste with the red pepper flakes.
- 12 -16 ounces vermicelli
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into small bits
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb shiitake mushroom, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry or 1⁄4 cup marsala
- 8 ounces lump crabmeat, drained weight, shredded
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, ie. San Marzano
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half or 1⁄4 cup cream
- 1⁄4 cup parmigiano, shredded
- 10 -12 basil leaves, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Place a large pot of water on to boil. Add pasta and salt water. Cook to al dente.
- While water comes to a boil, heat a deep skillet over medium heat. Add extra-virgin olive oil and butter. To warm oil and butter add crushed red pepper flakes, garlic and shallots, saute 3 minutes, add shiitake mushrooms and cook until tender, 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Deglaze the pan with sherry or Marsala wine, scatter in crabmeat - feeling for shell bits as you go. Warm the ingredients through, a minute or so, stir in tomatoes and heat through, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in half-and-half or cream and reduce heat to lowest setting.
- Drain pasta when cooked to al dente and toss with sauce and crab. Top with cheese, and basil.