Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A robust seafood soup from the Robert Morris Inn. Accompany this soup with crusty bread for a satisfying meal.
- 6 tablespoons butter sticks (3/4)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup celery
- 4 (8 ounce) bottles clam juice
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1⁄4 cup pearl barley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce (Tabasco )
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 lb uncooked medium shrimp, peeled deveined
- 1⁄2 lb crabmeat (picked over )
- Melt butter in heavy saucepan over meduium-high heat.
- add onion and celery ,.
- saute' until tender ,about 6 minutes.
- Add clam juice , tomatoes with their jucies and sherry.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add next 8 ingredients.
- Simmer until barley is tender ,stirring often about 25 minutes.
- Add seafood to soup, simmer until shrimp are cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- season with salt and pepper.