Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
Great with lamb and very easy!
- 2 cups water (or broth)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 9 ounces couscous
- Bring the water / stock to the boil.
- Fry the onion gently in a frying pan with the oil.
- Crush the cumin, coriander, fennel, chili and salt in a pestle and mortar.
- Add these spices, bay leaf and garlic to the softened onions and continue to cook for 5 minutes, do not brown.
- Add vinegar and sugar and reduce to a syrupy consitency.
- Add couscous and stir.
- Add hot water / stock and simmer for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Serve and enjoy!