Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Simple and satisfying - perfect for impressing friends.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 lbs zucchini, halved lengthways
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 lb roma tomato, chopped
- 1 large red chili pepper, halved and deseeded
- 1 teaspoon superfine sugar
- salt and pepper
- 8 ounces risotto rice
- 1 pinch saffron
- 2 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 12 basil leaves, torn
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese, grated, to garnish
- arborio rice
- Heat oven to 400°F
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan, then add the zucchini and fry for 3-4 mins until browned.
- Sprinkle with paprika, drain, then transfer to a shallow ovenproof baking dish.
- Add the remaining oil to the frying pan and fry the onion and garlic for 5 mins, stirring occasionally, until softened and lightly browned.
- Add chopped tomatoes, chili, sugar and seasoning, then cook for a further 2 minutes
- Spoon sauce over the zucchini, then put in the oven on a low shelf.
- Put the risotto rice into a casserole dish with the boiling water, then season. Cover and cook in the oven, above the zucchini, for 20 mins until the rice and zucchini are tender.
- Fluff up the rice with a fork, then spoon onto warmed serving plates. Top with the zucchini mixture and garnish with fresh basil leaves and cheese.